NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING
The Next Meeting of Ault Hucknall Parish Council will be held on
WEDNESDAY 15th JUNE 2022
commencing at 7:00 p.m.
at Doe Lea Centre.
Please see the agendas for details regarding attendance at the meeting
AUDIT OF ACCOUNTS 2021/2022
Please see the attached Notice of Public Rights and Publication of Unaudited Annual Governance & Accountability Return for 2021/2022
Ault Hucknall is a small village, which gives its name to the surrounding civil parish, in the Bolsover district of Derbyshire, England. It sits at the north end of the County of Derbyshire and is split into two halves by the M1 motorway
The parish also contains the hamlets of Rowthorne, Stainsby, Hardwick, Hardstoft, and Astwith and the two ex mining villages of Doe Lea and Bramley Vale
Local residents describe the settlement as the "smallest village in England", although as a village is not legally defined in England, this is not a provable claim – many would refer to it as a hamlet. The philosopher Thomas Hobbes was interred within Ault Hucknall’s St. John the Baptist Church following his death in 1679
In Ault Hucknall, as in most communities, the oldest surviving building is the parish church. St John’s is unusual among Derbyshire churches in retaining features that date from the 11th century when architecture was still influenced by Anglo-Saxon traditions. The church has three compartments – a nave with a north aisle, a former chancel under a crossing tower, and a sanctuary (now the chancel).
Ault Hucknall church played an important role in the Hardwick Estate. All parishioners would have been expected to attend services weekly at Ault Hucknall church, which lay some distance from any of the villages in the parish
Elizabeth dowager countess of Shrewsbury (c.1521–1608), best known to history as `Bess of Hardwick', is probably the third most famous Englishwoman of her age after Queen Elizabeth herself and Mary Queen of Scots, with both of whom Bess had close links.
She was married four times, firstly to Robert Barley, secondly to the courtier Sir William Cavendish, thirdly to Sir William St Loe and lastly to George Talbot, 6th Earl of Shrewsbury.
Bess amassed a large fortune from her four marriages which she invested in both re-building the Old Hall at and building the New Hall at Hardwick as well as acquiring substantial tracts of land in neighbouring regions.
Doe Lea was originally built for the growing mining community during the early part of the 20th century. The older terraced properties were demolished and have now been replaced by a large new housing development which has more than doubled the size of the original village.
The village is named after the River Doe Lea and has been described as a small linear village running alongside the A617 off Junction 29 of the M1 Motorway belonging to the District of Bolsover.
The residents of Bramley Vale and Doe Lea have seen major changes over the years particularly after the closure of local collieries.
There is now a large thriving industrial estate on the site of Glapwell Colliery
The re-invention of the Doe Lea Centre has been a major development and is at the hub of both the old village and the new housing development making it an ideal and welcoming place for old and new residents to get to know each other